Linguine with Portobello
Mushrooms and Broccoli
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total: 30 minutes
* 1/2 pound linguine (but you can use any kind of pasta you want)
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 3 garlic cloves, minced
* 3/4 pound broccoli florets, cut into bite-sized pieces
* 2 portobello mushrooms (about 3/4 pound) cut in half and sliced thin
* 3 tablespoons dry white or red wine (you may substitute water or low-sodium canned beef broth)
* 2 14 1/2-ounce no salt added canned chopped tomatoes
* 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
* 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
* 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
* 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Cook the pasta to al dente according to package directions. When it’s ready, pour in 1 cup of cold water (to stop the cooking process), and then drain it. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet. Add the garlic, broccoli, and mushrooms. Cook over high heat, stirring for 2 minutes, until mushrooms begin to wilt.
3. Reduce heat to low and add the wine, tomatoes, and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook, simmering slowly for 2 minutes, stirring twice.
4. Add the basil and stir.
5. Add the pasta to the sauce, increase heat and boil for 1 minute to reduce slightly.
6. Divide the pasta between 4 plates. Top with sauce and sprinkle with the cheese.
7. Serve immediately.
365 calories (17% calories from fat), 16 g protein, 7 g total fat (2.0 g saturated fat), 61 g carbohydrate, 7 g dietary fiber, 5 mg cholesterol, 169 mg sodium